Sunday 7 July 2013

Get Set Ready Go....to London (LSE summer school)- Arrival



Here I am. +Hong Kong Chek Lap Kok International Airports
Finally took a deep breath to step out of the comfort zone.For the very first time I felt so helpless alone in the airport. With a 23.2 kg luggage and a hand carry, here I started my adventure to London.
After taking a 13 hours flight,I arrived Heathrow Airport Terminal 5 with no idea what should I do at 4:00 am uk time.
As a lonely traveler,  Google map is my good friend. Nothing could be happier than when my phone would be connected to the internet.  I felt connected to the world again. ( that's not exaggerating at all)


Lists to do:
-grab a uk map
-get a uk underground map
-buy an Oyster card
-buy a phone card with data
-get my first breakfast in uk ( @ Krispy Cream)

Looking at the watch and with finger crossed, I got on the underground heading to Charing Cross Station (where my accommodation located)
Basically, the underground tube map is kinda much more complicated than the one in Hong Kong.  It took me one whole week to get used to it.  All I can say is that, the size of Hong Kong is really just a tiny piece of corner of UK.
There is no signal in the underground in which you can barely see people texting or talking on phone.  It is extremely quiet in the tube which I think it is superb coz you can really take a rest in the train without any distribution.
However, when the biggest trouble came once I got off the tube. NO LIFT IN THE STATION. I had to carry my luggage up the stairs step by step.  First thing came to my mind was,"Are you kidding me?"  Getting shocked for two second and other thought came to my mind, " Okay, there is no choice for me." So i just pulled my luggage with my greatest strength but then obviously.... I failed. I just stood here with a hopeless expression.
Luckily, some people offered me help along the way up the ground. There were six long stairs and I got six nice people helping me in the end.  I felt so thankful and blessed. <3


Walking from the station to my dorm for 15 minutes, here I arrived Northumberland House ( one of the LSE accomodation).  This is an old historic building (Edward VII Rooms) with amazing architecture.  It is located in the central London with lots of tourist attractions near it. Though it is a more expensive than the other accommodation, it is still worth with such an excellent location.

For a Hong Konger, having no air-conditioner in a room is equivalent to taking oxygen out of my life. And well, seems most of the buildings in London do not have air-con at all.  Yet, when you gradually adapt to the weather in UK, you will soon find it is pretty okay to sleep without air-con and let the mild blows on your face.
Okay.....Time to unpack my heavy luggage .......

No comments:

Post a Comment